Title

We have a new site!

New Site

Over the last six months the response to our initial blog site has been fantastic! Thanks for all your enthusiasm and support.

We've been working hard to create a true community and showcase for talented musicians - please come visit our updated site here:

www.somanytalentedmusicians.com.


Thanks!
Debbie

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Meet Keith Droz - Drummer




Talented Musicians - Interview with Keith Droz

Hi Keith, how many years have you been playing the drums?
I started playing the drums when I was six.  My mom in her infinite wisdom got me drum lessons in order to wrangle in my ADHD, although back then it was called "hyper activity".  I guess she felt that I can use my powers for good rather than evil.  I have to credit her with being the catalyst.  I've been playing in bands since I was twelve mostly local garage bands with guys several years older than me.  I would say my first real professional gig came around when I was 18.  Back then the drinking age in the bars was still 18.  Not too long after that it went up to 21.  I haven't stopped playing since.

What was your first gig?
My first real gig, in front of an audience, was playing a local Middle School dance in Rutherford,
NJ, my hometown.  It was my eighth grade dance that I was playing at.  I'm not sure what the first club gig was although I think it was in 1984 somewhere in East Newark.  I recently reconnected with some of the members of that band and for the life of us couldn't remember the name of the band to save our souls.  We remember everything else except that.  That's really rare for me because I've documented in some form or another just about every gig I've ever played.  If I ever become famous the world can get a good giggle when I'm gone.

What musicians influenced you?
WOW, that has to be the toughest question I get.  There are way too many.  If I had to narrow it down, I would have to say first off Ringo would be my greatest influence.  No one can keep a back beat like him.  Also, I was mesmerized by Gene Kruppa and Buddy Rich.  As I got older and my musical tastes expanded,  I was very heavily influenced by John Bonham and Keith Moon (although I couldn't play like them if my life depended on it).  As I got into more challenging musical genres I discovered Prog Rock. Guys like Neil Peart and Phil Collins have had the greatest impact on my playing. Today I am always inspired by just about any drummer.  My playing style is a hybrid and miss-mosh of things I've picked up over the years.  I love pretty much all kinds of music and it has so much to teach us.  I'm constantly watching and borrowing.

How many bands have you been in?
Wait....let me get out my calculator (lol).  Not as many as some of my distinguished colleagues but probably more than the average bear.

What's it like to gig?
The gig is usually the easy part.  The prep is the hard part.  Once you start playing at a gig you're in the zone or as I call it "my happy place".  I get more nervous about the prep than I do about the gig.  Once the gig is done that's it.  I don't ruminate about it but  always look to improve.   I usually walk away from a gig feeling good that I was able to share my talent with people.  They may not know it but perhaps I made their life a better place (at least for a few hours) and that's a good feeling.

How often do you practice?
How do you spell that??? Like every other musician...as often as I can and not as often as I should.

What was one of your accomplishments as a musician?
Hmmmmmmm.  It's hard to pick one but I'll try.  This may not mean much to anybody but it is certainly one of my proudest moments.  I was hired to play drums for Martha Reeves and the Vandellas.  Here I was totally out of my league playing with the Queen of Motown, a Rock and Roll Legend (one of the sweetest people I have ever worked with). Whenever I would get done with a gig-for-hire,  I would stick around to thank the people that helped make the gig possible.  This is an important safety tip: always thank the people who support you.  I would start with the sound/lighting team, the musicians and managers who hired me (I've found it goes a long way).  One night after about an hour (Martha loves her fans) I finally got the chance to say goodbye and thank her. That turned into a huge hug from Martha (and her lovely sisters Lois and Dalphine) and another hour hanging out chatting in her dressing room.  I guess I must have done a good job because I've done quite a few gigs with her since.  One night as I was saying goodbye she said to me "whenever I call you ... you better come" and she meant it.  It was an offer I couldn't refuse.  It's not often you get to play drums for Motown royalty.

I am just happy that at my age I am still doing what I like.  Being a musician is all I ever wanted to do.  I am blessed with the fact that I can do that and have a wonderful family (who are my greatest supporters) and be able to share my gift.  There are so many people to thank that helped me get here.  First off my mom for having the vision.  I've always been fortunate in life when it comes to music.  As you all know it's all about opportunity and how we use those moments.  I've been blessed by many people who have given me that opportunity.  Most particularly John Mayunick (my grammar school chorus teacher who taught me how to play the Timpani) and of course Ray Heller (my high school music teacher) who gave me the opportunity to go from a wild child to a working accomplished musician.  These people and many others had the vision to give me the chance to do what I do best... and I am forever grateful.

Check out tothegig.com and sign up for our mailing list!


No comments:

Post a Comment