Title

We have a new site!

New Site

Over the last six months the response to our initial blog site has been fantastic! Thanks for all your enthusiasm and support.

We've been working hard to create a true community and showcase for talented musicians - please come visit our updated site here:

www.somanytalentedmusicians.com.


Thanks!
Debbie

Monday, September 5, 2016

Meet Frosty Lawson - Keyboards / Vocals / Trumpet



An Interview with Frosty Lawson

Hi Frosty, how many years have you been playing?
I have been playing professionally for over 35 years.

What musicians have influenced you?
I have been influenced by many, many musicians.  There's Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Tower of Power, Chicago, Quincy Jones, Mozart, Beethoven, Eric Clapton, Freddie Hubbard, Doc Severinsen, Maynard Ferguson, Buddy Rich, Muddy Waters and Sugar Hill Gang.  This is just the tip of the iceberg of my influences!!!  I listen to all styles and all genres.  There's something of value to extract from all of them.

How many bands have you been in? 
I can't even begin to count how many bands I've played in.  50 would be a close estimate.  The reason the number is so high is because I get a ton of calls to fill-in with different groups on different instruments since I am a multi-instrumentalist and a lead vocalist as well.  I play keyboards, trumpet, flugelhorn, tenor, sax, alto sax, valve trombone, slide trombone and French horn for starters.  I also have recorded on violin, banjo, acoustic guitar and bass guitar.

What's it like to gig?
It's the best thing in the world to play gigs.  No one single gig is exactly like any other.  There's always a variety of music and musicians that I'm playing with.  It's spiritual and fulfilling, to say the least.

How often do you practice?
I practice as much as I can with as many instruments as my schedule will allow.

What advice can you give to a newbie musician?
Learn how to play your instrument properly.  Listen to many other musicians.  Be dependable and stay true to your word.  If someone gives you a list of songs to learn don't mess around but learn them and be ready.  Always give 200% when you're on stage.  If you do all of those things you will always have work.

What was one of your accomplishments?
Receiving my Masters Degree of Music at Kansas State University is one.  Others include playing on the Tonight Show, Good Morning America, and Madison Square Garden.  Performing with Richie Cannata for the last nine years (sax player for 30 years with Billy Joel) is one very special accomplishment for me.  I have been a busy guy.

                       

     


                 Visit tothegig.com and check out the 
                     Pre-Launch of our Musician App


No comments:

Post a Comment