Title

We have a new site!

New Site

Over the last six months the response to our initial blog site has been fantastic! Thanks for all your enthusiasm and support.

We've been working hard to create a true community and showcase for talented musicians - please come visit our updated site here:

www.somanytalentedmusicians.com.


Thanks!
Debbie

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Meet Chuck Corradino



An Interview with Chuck Corradino

Hi Chuck, how many years have you been playing?
I started on the sax and switched to the drums as many of us did in the sixties when the Ed Sullivan Show ran all the "New Rock Band" of that amazing time period.  I have been playing drums for half a century!

What musicians influenced you?
The early influences came from bands like the Rascals.  Dino Danelli was one of my first influences, and back then everyone wanted to sound like Ringo.  The Vanilla Fudge hit the Ed Sullivan Show and Carmine Appice struck the chord with me.  The way he was aggressively slicing his cymbals and his showmanship lit me up.  Later on, Led Zeppelin's drummer Bonzo's style caught my attention, from there Jeff Beck Group came out with "Wired" and my drumming style changed. Billy Cobham, Buddy Rich, Lenny White, Carl Palmer and Alphonse Mouzon were huge influences.  I did get to study with Joe Nevola who was one of Carmine Appice's star students at the time along with a handful of other great teachers.

How many bands have you been in?

Wow, trying to remember is a stretch, but I would say 30 different bands and still counting.

What’s it like to gig?
When I gig these days, there are so many different types of venues, and the purpose of the gig is important to me.  Who I am playing with is important to me.  I love to play with seasoned musicians that love making music.  When you are in a situation like that you can get lost in the musical moments and soar.  I know I can sleep in the next day so I can relax and have a great time at the gig.  I love meeting new people and experiencing new places.  The music brings you on a journey!  I have dear friends that I met when I played in the band Chazz  back in the late 70's and 80's.  We still connect with the gang that appreciated the band. It became a family and still is.  The former members are like brothers to me.

How often do you practice?

I try to get "Stick Control" in on a weekly basis. I get on the kit four or five times per week to learn new material.  I used to practice for hours each day, but being a Pastor these days takes up a lot of my time.  Thank God the music is still a huge part of my ministry.

What advice would you give a newbie musician?

Get with some good teachers.  Seek out great players and learn from them.  Listen to those who know the Biz.  It has changed so much, but do not let the business end of the industry steal your joy of playing and making music. 

I lost all the joy of playing for a while and put the sticks down for six years due to the music business.  I am glad I got the joy of music back in my life!  Go for it!  Don't play it safe!  Jump in full tilt, and do not let personality problems within the band prevent you from playing every chance you get and growing as a musician.  A big part of it is putting up your boundaries and  being able to get along with each other and appreciate everyone.  Take note of the friends you make along the way and especially with the fans.  They are dear people that come out to hear you enjoy a night of live music.  Be kind to them and treat them like family, because they are!


What was one of your accomplishments as a musician?

My journey has been ever evolving musically.  I went from Garage Bands on Monterey Drive in Hazlet to playing at swim clubs doing the Battle of the Bands, to playing in all the Agency clubs down the shore and all over the place.  Hunter Mountain in the winters, Hamptons in the summers, the College circuit was insane as were the clubs back then.  As I said, I put the sticks down for six years.  

I picked them up again when I was invited to play in a Christian Rock Band in the Middle East.  We did all original music and played all throughout Jerusalem, Samaria, Jerusalem Theater and the Carmiel Cultural Center.  We then expanded into the Golan Hts and on all the major Israeli Military Bases.  I stayed in the seat for ten years and it changed my life and gave me the joy of playing music back.  


There was a purpose attached other than playing in clubs and people getting wasted.  We played for many soldiers that were being shipped out the next day.  I will never forget the look on some of their faces along with the conversations and the dinners we had together.  This journey seeded my heart to become an Ordained Pastor in the Church of the Nazarene where my credentials are recognized globally.  


I still play on the Church Worship Team and in a classic rock band called The Solid Rock Band.  We do Classic Rock with a message! The band consists of great players that are Worship Leaders or play on the Worship Teams at their churches but don't let that kid you.  We bring it and love what we are doing.  So in retrospect, the music has certainly taken me on quite a journey and the song isn't over yet!  Just one note, pure and easy!  








                  Visit tothegig.com and check out the 
                     Pre-Launch of our Musician App






No comments:

Post a Comment