Title

We have a new site!

New Site

Over the last six months the response to our initial blog site has been fantastic! Thanks for all your enthusiasm and support.

We've been working hard to create a true community and showcase for talented musicians - please come visit our updated site here:

www.somanytalentedmusicians.com.


Thanks!
Debbie

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Meet Gregg D. Hollister


An Interview with Gregg D. Hollister

Hi Gregg, how long have you been playing? 
I started in high school playing drums, guitar, and vocalizing.  I switched to bass in college when a band needed a bass player.  My first bass was a Hagstrom and I had a Gibson Thunderbird Amp.  I've been playing bass ever since some 45 years ago.

What musicians influenced you?
There is a long list from the bands of the 40's (Basie, Miller etc.) to The Beachboys.  The English invasion changed everything of course.  The Beatles, Stones and my favorite The Who and Later Cream, Motown, Bobby Caldwell, Bruce Hornsby, Steely Dan and Jazz greats like pianist Bill Evans.  He inspired me to study and take jazz piano lessons for a couple of years.  My influences were vast, varied and eclectic. 

How many bands did you play in?
I spent most of my music career playing, singing and writing for original projects.  I was blessed to be a part of on Various labels, Anthem (Buddah Records), The Rockspurs DJM, (Japan), FrIllogical Poetry (Midlantic). The Daryl Canada Band (Atlantic),Takanaka (Sony Japan), Frank Weber (RCA), Fatback (Spring Records) and other labels I was signed to labels like Roulette Records, Laurie, Futureband to name a few.  My first record deal was at 17 on Cameo Parkway with Terry Knight who was the Grand Funk Railroads producer.  

What's it like to gig?
 Gigging is where you hone your trade.  For me, I am always trying to find something inside the music that I'm playing.  I'm approaching it differently every time.  If it's cover tunes I like to interpret them and make them my own.  I'm not great at copying, it's just who I am.  It doesn't matter if it's a corporate gig, bar gig, concert etc, I'm just always trying to find something new and reach folks through the music.  It doesn't matter if it's 20, 200 or 2000 folks.  

The current group I work with is comprised of James Leahey guitar/vox, Terry Silverlight drums, Brad Ellis Keys, myself on bass/ vox with some help from Frank Elmo on Sax.  The chemistry between us is wonderful and we are in the studio right now at TKL Studios finishing our "Hollister and Friends" recording project.  I'm blessed to be able to work with Tom Merlynn and the Band.  It's a live recording and there is magic amongst us.  

My other project is "Wheels of Fire" which is a Tribute to Cream, a group that was very instrumental and influential to me.  The group consists of Richie Ranno guitar/vox, Terry Silverlight on drums and myself on bass/vox.  We perform all the hits and the non-hits which were some of their best work.  Jack Bruce was an inspiration and a mentor to me.  John Entwhistle and The Who was another. 

What advice do you have for young musicians?
The industry has changed so much since I started out.  But I think the message is still the same.  Play, sing, compose, write and perform for the pure joy of music and the joy you bring to people.  The rest will follow and always be humble.  There is a lot of talent out there. 

What were some of your accomplishments as a musician?
I've been so fortunate to play with so many wonderful players over the years.  To interact and communicate musically with players whether spontaneously or creatively in the studio which is why I love to do it.  Currently, I am recording with "The Brian Drux Project".  Brian is an accomplished singer, songwriter, and guitarist who has allowed us all to be so creative on his material and make music for music's sake.  With Dave Anthony on Drums, Benny Harrison on Keys, Dave "Wquiggy" Bigglin on Keys, Brian on guitars and vocals along with Grammy-winning producer / engineer (311, Creed, Living Color), Ron "The Saint" Germain @ The Saints Place Studio, well it doesn't get much better than that.







                     Visit tothegig.com and check out
                   the Pre-Launch of our Musician App


No comments:

Post a Comment