Title

We have a new site!

New Site

Over the last six months the response to our initial blog site has been fantastic! Thanks for all your enthusiasm and support.

We've been working hard to create a true community and showcase for talented musicians - please come visit our updated site here:

www.somanytalentedmusicians.com.


Thanks!
Debbie

Monday, November 21, 2016

Meet Jeremy Sevelovitz






An Interview with Jeremy Sevelovitz

Hi Jeremy, where do you live?
I am currently between places.  My last "home base" was Park Slope, Brooklyn and I bounce back to Westchester, NY (where I grew up) quite often.  Lately, I have been on the road, bouncing between gigs for the last year or so.


How many years have you been playing?
I bought my first guitar when I was thirteen and have had one in my hand since, which now that I think about it, is over half my life.  I played as a hobbyist for many years, then seriously started playing and writing in college.

What musicians influenced you?
I have always had a very eclectic and vast taste in music.  My parents always had music on and I drew a lot from that growing up.  I love listening to great players, no matter the genre.

Artists that have influenced my playing and writing would be B.B.King, Otis Redding, Joe Cocker, Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, Radiohead and Wilco just to name a few. 

 How many bands have you been in?
I played in a band in high school for a few years and a few little projects in college.  My background is mostly in theater.  I went to the Hartt School of Music, in Hartford, CT and graduated with a BFA in Musical Theatre.  I've been performing in musicals since I was eleven.  In the theatrical world, I've been in many shows where the actors are also the musicians (Ring of Fire: The Johnny Cash Story and a new musical "Chasing the Song" about songwriters in the Brill Building 1963).

Currently, I've been working on "Million Dollar Quartet", the story of Sun Records in 1956, at the birth of rock n"roll.  I play Carl Perkins in the show, handling the electric/lead guitar track as well as portraying the man dramatically.

I am also working on my own project called, The FourFourtyFour (the 4:44).  It's been a vehicle for my original work, and mostly a solo project.  I released my first EP, "Devils & Kings" about two years ago and I've been writing a lot lately hoping to get my first full-length record out in 2017.

What’s it like to gig or tour?
It's a whole lot of things!  It's wildly exciting and fulfilling to me to be able to bring what I do to new cities and new audiences.  I have done gigs where you're in a different city every night and some where you're in town for months at a time but it's always great.  Sure, living out of a suitcase / hotel has its drawbacks, but at the end of the day, I get to play music every night.  No matter what's happening in the world, I get to walk out onto a stage and bring music, joy, fun, laughter and energy to people all over the country.  That's the best high I've found.

How often do you practice?
I play every day, in some capacity.  I don't sit down and run scales as often as I should but as a writer, I'm always trying new things out.  I have a loop station that I use, which really has unlocked a lot of potential for me.  Just jamming over something new, playing new leads, figuring out new patterns on the fly, or writing a new melody has always been the best way for me to improve.

Tell us about your gear?
Guitars: Eastman T386, Sunburst, Semi-Hollow Body.
              Gilson SG Raw Power, White
              Fender, Jaguar, Surf Green
              Samick Greg Bennet Special, Dreadnought

Amp:     Fender Blues Jr iii

Pedals: MXR Carbon Copy Delay
             MXR Phase 90
             Boss Blues Driver
             Boss TR-2 Tremolo
             Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah
             TC Electronic Ditto X2 Looper
             TC Electronic PolyTune2 Tuner

What advice would you give a newbie musician?
Just keep going!  Keep playing! Stick with it!  Play with people who are better than you, that's how you learn.  And above all have fun.  If it's not fun, then there's a problem.

What was one of your accomplishments as a musician or what are your goals?
I'm just so glad to be playing and making a living as an actor / musician.  I've never been the nine to five type.  I don't fit in a box and it's been a difficult road.  The artist's life always is, but it's been so rewarding.  I love what I do and I can't wait to see where the journey takes me.  



Get interviewed on our blog. Drop us a line at:

tothegig@gmail.com












No comments:

Post a Comment