Title

We have a new site!

New Site

Over the last six months the response to our initial blog site has been fantastic! Thanks for all your enthusiasm and support.

We've been working hard to create a true community and showcase for talented musicians - please come visit our updated site here:

www.somanytalentedmusicians.com.


Thanks!
Debbie

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Meet Rich Borge




I've been reaching out to a good deal of musicians.  As I was typing Al's post, I realized that there are so many just in Bergen County and beyond.  A good deal of these musicians have passed through the bar scene getting home at 3:00am and waking up the next day to do it all over again.  I also remember those days because I was one of the those guitarists' wives, then girlfriend,  and was staying out way too late every night at those same bars.

This post will feature Rich Borge.  He is a guitarist and I'll let you read the rest.

Rich, how many years have you been playing?
I'd say about 46 years...  Does that make me sound old?

What was your first guitar?
My first guitar was a cheap Japanese acoustic.  Then I had a few Univox guitars.  My first REAL guitar was a Brand New Cherry Sunburst 1972 Les Paul!  Still miss that guitar.  It was stolen in 1977 by a supposed friend.  

What artists influenced you?
I have been influenced by everyone I've heard... Allmans to Zappa, but Black Sabbath was my first Rock love.  Then I was enamored with Steve Howe of Yes.  I eventually got into Al DiMeola for a bit.

How many bands have you been in?
It's got to be at least a dozen or more bands.  I did the Jersey Tribute scene with Sticky Fingers and Crystal Ship.  I toured with Bil Haleys Comets. 

What's it like to gig?
Gigging is a way to release many of the things you get bottled inside.  It can be just as much fun playing at a friend's pool party as playing a concert hall.  But the concert hall definitely gives you more butterflies!

How often do you practice?
I try to pick up the guitar everyday, but sometimes life gets in the way.  That's one reason I love my weekly Monday Jam at the Hilltop Tavern in Lodi.  I get to let loose with some of the best local players. 

What is one of your accomplishments as a musician?
Back in the 80's, I got to play with a band formed around the wrestler "Sargent Slaughter."  He had a single called "The Cobra Clutch."  We got to play at the Meadowlands Arena and other local venues.  It was one of the most surreal experiences I ever had!



No comments:

Post a Comment