Title

We have a new site!

New Site

Over the last six months the response to our initial blog site has been fantastic! Thanks for all your enthusiasm and support.

We've been working hard to create a true community and showcase for talented musicians - please come visit our updated site here:

www.somanytalentedmusicians.com.


Thanks!
Debbie

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Meet Dave Pressel





An Interview with Dave Pressel


Where do you currently reside?
Currently I am in Maplewood, NJ but I was born in NYC and grew up in New City, NY.

How many years have you been playing?
I have been playing music since I was seven. Started out on trumpet and was pretty decent, but then got interested in piano and from there I stuck with that.  I had music lessons early on, but my teacher was awful and it kind of turned me off to learning and reading music so I am 100% self-taught, which I regret when charts are thrown in front of me to figure out in 30 seconds.

What musicians influenced you?
My main initial influence was my Dad.  He was and still is one of the most talented piano players I have ever heard or seen  He was a Broadway conductor and was musical director for the original Jesus Christ Superstar on Broadway in the early 70’s.  I loved showtunes, and that era of the 70’s and early 80’s produced some of my favorites (Pippin, A Chorus Line, Sweeney Todd, Cats).  Then at 12 I heard Billy Joel and Elton John for the first time and it just made me stop and wonder how these guys can sing so well and play so well.  It did not take me a very long time to figure out singing was not my talent, but I kept hitting the reverse button on cassette tapes and figuring out the riffs they played, the note progressions, the key changes.  Then I started really getting into rock and jam band stuff such as the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Aerosmith, Santana, Little Feat, The Doors, Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Genesis, Rush, Pink Floyd.  But as I grew older I started getting really into jam band / funk / jazz / soul.  So while I loved rock, I really started listening to a lot of Steely Dan, Spyro Gyra, The Crusaders, Pat Metheny, Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind & Fire, Chicago, Herbie Hancock, David Sanborn, James Brown, Average White Band and of course Prince.

How many bands have you been in?
I can barely remember what I ate for lunch, let alone all the bands I have played with.  I think between playing in actual bands and sitting in / subbing it is a high number.

What’s it like to gig or tour?
When all the pieces fall into place, it is one of the greatest feelings you can have.  I have had the fortunate gift of being able to play with some incredibly talented musicians who, as good as they are, are so incredibly nice and I am honored to call them my friends.  To be able to step onto a stage, play music for others to hear and have them tap their foot, clap their hands or dance around – there really are few better feelings as a musician.

How often do you practice?
No matter what I answer, it is never enough.  I find that if I have a gig coming up with a band where I need to learn things, then I will just lock in for a few hours and chart out any changes I am unfamiliar with.  For example, I recently got asked to sub in an Allman's tribute band called The Peach Project.  Now, while I know the majority of most Allmans' songs, there is a difference between knowing them and playing them.  So it involves practicing changes in key, tempo, when does the guitar solo stop and start, etc.

Tell us about your gear?
I’ve had all sorts of different keyboards over the years from Korg, Yamaha, Nord.  But right now I have 2 main ones I play:  a Hammond SK1 and a Hammond SK2.  The SK1 is a single keyboard with 61 keys, has a killer B3 (as you would expect) but a really nice Rhodes and piano on it. The SK2 has 2 layers of keys on it (so 122 keys) and I will use this for bigger venues.  Amp is a Roland KC 550.  And my favorite is one that does not leave my house:  my 1974 Fender Rhodes.  Anytime I play that one, my mood improves.  There is no sample or patch out there that replaces the original.  It just puts me in my happy place.  And I also have a Knabe upright piano from when I grew up.

What advice would you give a newbie musician?
Practice, pay attention, and listen.  Music so often is about what not do in many cases.  Trying to squeeze as many notes into a measure usually does not end well.  Some of the best bands I have played in were the ones where everyone gave each other some space to put their signature on what they are feeling.  Music is about passion and feel – try to approach each song with the groove that fits the song.  My approach to playing Zeppelin will be completely different than my approach to playing Steely Dan.

What was one of your accomplishments as a musician or what are your goals?
I have played with a lot of musicians that are well known / famous, and also played with many more that are not.  And in each case my goal is the same:  play with feeling, enjoy what I am doing, and try not to screw up as much as possible.  My accomplishments with music are not about how many people see me play – I have played in front of 5 people as well as 5,000 people.  It is about being a better player and enjoying what I do.  Music is the best therapy for me on a daily basis.



                        




Get interviewed on our blog. Drop us a line at:

tothegig@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment